Checklist When Moving Homes
Moving homes may seem like an daunting task. But with enough preparation and the help of an experienced moving company, we can help make your move a smooth process. Here are some of our tips to help with your move. for a detailed checklist, check out the US Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Moving Checklist.
Two months Before Your Move
• Get organized and start purging your home of items that you may not want to bring with you.
• Start a binder where you can keep track of everything.
• This is also a good time to research on possible shipping companies that can help you move your items. Ask around for referrals or recommendations. Make sure the shipper has a US Department of Transportation number if you are moving states.
6 - 8 Weeks Before
• Contact a moving company to request an estimate.
• Start ordering your packing supplies and boxes and take measurements of any furniture that you may need to ship. Make sure these will fit in your new home
• Start notifying your bank, school, subscription services of your move. Create a list of friends, family and institutions that you need to notify such as.
⁃ Utilities (gas, water, electricity)
⁃ Subscriptions (magazine, newspaper)
One Month Before
• Finalize on your mover and start confirming your moving information (cost, dates, special instructions, etc)
• Start packing! Start with items that you seldom use and begin writing down all the items you have packed. Label each box and pack similar items together to make unpacking easier.
• Fill out a change of address with your local post office or online at usps.gov.
2 Weeks Before
• Contact your moving company to reconfirm arrangements
• If you are moving your vehicle, make sure to discuss these details with your mover as well and start preparing your vehicle for shipment.
One Week Before
• Finish packing up all items a few days before your move.
• Label all boxes and mark fragile items
• Double check that all boxes are labeled and your inventory list is ready
• To avoid any mix-up, separate any items you do not wish to be shipped
• Check that your items are loaded properly
• Do a final tour of your home before the movers leave
• Double check with the mover that they have your correct moving address
Day of Delivery
• Make sure you are present to receive the delivery or have an authorized person available on your behalf
• Double check the items delivered. If there are any signs of damage or discrepancies, notify the movers immediately before they depart your home
• Make sure you keep a copy of your paperwork from your move in case there are issues that you need to follow-up on.
Contact us today for more information. We import and export cargo on a regular basis and have access to reliable shipping lines and ocean freight resources which help keep our rates low and competitive.
Click here to learn more about our services and how we can help.
Back to the top
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- About Pack and Ship Honolulu, Hawaii - A Trusted Honolulu Shipping & Freight Service Company
Your one stop resource for all of your shipping needs. Whether freight, motorcycles, vehicles, machinery, vehicles, artwork, etc. You name it we can do it at discounted rates! More...
- Pack and Ship Honolulu, Hawaii Services, Products and Rates
Check out our international & domestic freight shipping services to see what best fits your needs and budget. We have very competitive rates. More...
- Request A Shipping Freight Quote - Special Online Offer!
Take the first step to secure peace of mind! Click here to request a shipping freight quote. Request a quote and get our special online % discount offer! More...
- Pack and Ship Hawaii Freight and Shipping Discount Coupon Offers
Check out our latest promos and available coupons for our international & domestic freight/shipping services.
- Shipping and Freight Frequently Asked Questions
How about shipping/freight insurance? Do you offer "on-site" estimates? Find the answer to this and other frequently asked questions here.
Recent news that might interest you.